This recipe, featured in Hot Topics Vol. 1, Fall 2000, comes from DJ's on the Bay in Sturgeon Bay, WI and was created by Hatco's own Chef Brad Stoeckel!
Recipe is for a ½ gallon.
- 3-4 lbs. whitefish, chopped into 1' pieces
- 1 cup fish stock (or comparable)
- 6 strips of bacon, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 stocks celery, finely diced
- 1¾ oz. flour
- ½ lb. red potatoes, diced
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 6 fl. oz. heavy cream, scalded
- Salt & white pepper – to taste
- ½ fl. oz. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup Italian parsley, chopped
Render bacon in a soup pot, add onion and celery, and sweat until translucent. Add flour and cook to make a roux. Gradually pour in the stock and milk while whisking to work out any lumps that may form. Simmer for 20 minutes; skim the surface of any froth if necessary. Add the potatoes to the soup and simmer until tender. Add in the whitefish and cream. Let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Add in Italian parsley.